Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I owe the State of N.C. back taxes in the amount of

Customer Question
I owe the State...

I owe the State of N.C. back taxes in the amount of $2,200,00. I have a account in my name only, and I need to know if my SSA deposits are protected from them in the form of garnishment

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

N.C.

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

The tax is from unemployment benefits for the year 2810. I filed that year, but was unable to pay the tax. Two months ago, they sent me a notice for after all most seven years that I need to contact them, or they were going to place a garnishment on my Federal Income tax refunds.I am planning to work something out w/ them, but haven't done so, as of yet.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
10/5/2017
Tax Professional: Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 months ago
Fred Rook
Fred Rook, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Your social security benefits can be garnished to pay NC, but the first $750 of your monthly benefit is off limits. In other words, the lowest your monthly benefit can go with the garnishment is $750. Let me know if this answers your question.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney