Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Tax question - liens - civil penalties - last time I tried…

Customer Question
tax question - liens...

tax question - liens - civil penalties -

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Last time I tried you tried to send me to a real estate lawyer. tax expert needed

Accountant's Assistant: Has any paperwork been filed?

No

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
10/4/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 7 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello my name is***** have experience working with clients tax liens.

How can I assist you?

If you have received a notice of a Federal tax lien, but a tax lien has not yet been filed then you may avoid the immediate filing of the tax lien if you start the process of setting up an installment agreement. You should only attempt an installment agreement if you intend on paying the outstanding tax amount.

The IRS will generally send taxpayers a Notice of Federal Tax Lien after the IRS has already filed a lien with the county.

The IRS will remove a federal tax lien if the lien was filed in error, if the outstanding balance is paid in full, if the outstanding balance is otherwise satisfied (for example through a successful offer in compromise), or if the lien becomes unenforceable (for example, because the lien has expired due to the ten-year statute of limitations).

Please let me know how I may assist you further.

my problem is that a tax lien will hinder my ability to pay and I though there were situations where they would not file the lien

If you owe less than $25,000 and agree to payments, you may request for a lien to not be filed or be removed if the lien has already been put in place

Under the IRS's fresh start program, taxpayers may be eligible for lien withdrawal or release if their outstanding balance is under $25,000. You may also be eligible for penalty relief

Some taxpayers may qualify to have their lien notice withdrawn if they are paying their tax debt through a Direct Debit installment agreement. Taxpayers also need to request this in writing by using Form 12277.

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®