Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm on social secutry my dad passed away they are trying to…

Customer Question
I'm on social secutry...

I'm on social secutry my dad passed away they are trying to make me pay can they freeze my bank account

Accountant's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Indiana

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

I had power of attony to get his money out of bank to give to nuring home

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
10/4/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 10 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

I'm not sure I completely understand your question. Are they asking that you pay back an overpayment (such as money that came in after his death?).

...

The basic answer, regardless is MAYBE - The federal Department of Treasury coordinates information about various federally-related debts and benefits, including Social Security benefits and federal tax refunds.

...

If the same social security number has both an obligation to Social Security for an overpayment and is due a refund on federal taxes all or part of that refund is at risk of being retained to satisfy the overpayment.

...

Also, Social Security can seek a judgement to enforce a debt via garnishment of wages or state tax returns and in a FEW MAJOR situations levy a bank account, but you should receive additional notice of any pending action in state or federal court before this can happen.

...

And again, this pursuit may or may not happen depending on how large the overpayment is and the circumstances that led to the overpayment (fraud or inadvertent, etc.)