Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A sole proprietor with a tentative loss may deduct which of

Customer Question
the following for qualified business-use-of-home...
a sole proprietor with a tentative loss may deduct which of the following for qualified business-use-of-home expenses:mortgage interest
depreciation
rent
utilities
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
10/4/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 1 month ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Please give me a moment to prepare your response.

This would depend if you owned or rented the home. If you owned the home you would need to know the business use square footage and the total square footage. You would then be able to deduct this portion of mortgage interest, repairs, property taxes, utilities, and depreciation. If you are renting the home, you would take the business use percentage and apply this to rent, insurance, and utilities.

The home office deduction is limited by the net income of the Schedule C. If there is a loss, the business use of home expense would carry forward to the next year.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I agree with you but the question wants to know if there is a tentative loss which of the above expenses can still be deducted.

They are deductible but are not currently deducted. The home office expense would carry over to the next year.

The home office expense is limited to the net income of Schedule C. If there is a loss, you would not be able to deduct the home office expense. You do not lose the expense, it just carries forward to the next year.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor