Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I got a job and put the wrong DOB on there but the right…

Customer Question
Hi.. I got a job...
Hi.. I got a job and put the wrong DOB on there but the right social. I live in Nevada. Would I have to tell them the right DOB or am I okay?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
10/4/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 10 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

While it is not mandatory that you provide the employer with your correct DOB, you should, so that they are reporting your information correctly to social security. You don't want there to be any issues with social security and your earnings down the road.

If you do not require further assistance with this matter, I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

But what could happen If i don't?

Hello again,

The main thing is the social security number. As long as that is correct, you should be fine. I mentioned that there could be a problem with social security matching up your earnings because they like to have all the information correct on the employer's records, as well as their records.

Is there any way my employer would be notified by the IRS is state or something telling them my DOB is wrong?

I've never heard of the IRS doing anything like that. I don't really see how your employer could find out that your DOB is not correct unless your wages are levied, garnished, or some other legal matter arises and even if the employer finds out that the DOB is incorrect, as long as you are legal age to work, I don't think it would be a big deal. However, usually people report their correct DOBs on their employment documents.

A positive rating of 3 or more stars is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Do you think they could fire me if they find out? It's only a year off. And yes I'm legal.

That would depend on the employer. I don't think you would get fired, but I can't say for sure. Anyone could inadvertently put down the wrong year. I think you are ok.