Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I can't decide if i should allow my accountant to take more…

Customer Question
i can't decide if i...
i can't decide if i should allow my accountant to take more or less depreciation in our first year. we have an intangible asset and if we deem it 15 years then it will create hundreds of thousands in losses. if we deem it 25 years we get more of a breakeven
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
10/3/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 7 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

According to the IRS - You must generally amortize over 15 years the capitalized costs of "section 197 intangibles" you acquired after August 10, 1993. You must amortize these costs if you hold the section 197 intangibles in connection with your trade or business or in an activity engaged in for the production of income.

The actual statute - see here

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/26/197

(a) General rule

A taxpayer shall be entitled to an amortization deduction with respect to any amortizable section 197 intangible. The amount of such deduction shall be determined by amortizing the adjusted basis (for purposes of determining gain) of such intangible ratably over the 15-year period beginning with the month in which such intangible was acquired.

.

So far - there is no option to extent amortization over 25 years.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor