Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a 1099 R from Knights of Columbus stating they put…

I have a 1099...

I have a 1099 R from Knights of Columbus stating they put into my husband's insurance $14, 000 + and of that amount $9,000 + is taxable. As far as I know we never authorized Knights of Columbus to pay premiums for us. They sent info to our son's house for years. What recourse do we have?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

I called Knights of Columbus after sending my POA for my husband. The policy cancelled in Sept, 2016. They sent my POA back, said the policy is closed, and there is nothing to add. They would not talk to me because the policy is closed.

10/3/2017
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

Unfortunately, as your husband rec'd a Form 1099-R, so did the IRS. Therefore it needs to be reported, otherwise, down the road, you will be receiving a letter form the IRS stating that income was understated. By that time, all kinds of penalties and interest would have been added to the amount.

Another unfortunately....there is not anything that the IRS can do about this matter. It is up to you to deal with the matter. My suggestion is to call the corporate office of Knights of Columbus and ask to speak to someone in a supervisory position to see if you can get the matter straightened. Other than that, there is not much else that you can do other than report the $9,000.

I know the information provided is not in your favor, however, if it does clarify matters for you, I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Thank you. I had asked this question quite awhile ago and was told pretty much the same thing. I was hoping there might be another way to deal with the Knights of Columbus. They paid premiums we did not authorize. It was suggested the last time that I insist they prove to me when and who approved the automatic payments by them. In a sense they 'loaned' us the money and we did not know that. I tried calling a local representative and no one answered. Thank you anyway.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant