Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I asked for an Federal Income Tax extension to 10/16/17 and…

I asked for an Federal...
I asked for an Federal Income Tax extension to 10/16/17 and I paid taxes due. This was for 2016. Am I able to extend it further?
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/2/2017
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Unfortunately, you are not able to extend the deadline any further. If you file the return past the extension deadline then any unpaid taxes would be subject to interest in penalties.

I could send it later? I paid the taxes I think I owed.

If there are no taxes owed there would not be any consequences. If you owe you would be subject to a late filing penalty. What information are you waiting on?

Just taking time to add up all the deductions for my business and do not understand affordable health insurance instructions. I may hire some one to do it. I or my husband have always done it but he died in March.
I did file for an extension on April and sent money.

I am sorry for your loss. They did not make the Affordable Health Care forms user friendly. I can understand the confusion.

Thank you. The Affordable Forms are very confusing and I think I did it wrong the prior year.
Where are good instructions for the Affordable Form?

What form are you trying to complete? Where are you located?

Texas
Mark Taylor
I have to research. I just set everything aside in April on that project and will have to restart it.
Thanks.

If you did make a mistake last year you would still have time to amend the return to correct it (if necessary).

They corrected it and sent less refund for 2015.

I see, then an amended return would not be necessary.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor