Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I NEED TO REACTVIATE MY INACTIVE ENROLLED AGENT LICENSE.

Customer Question
I NEED TO REACTVIATE...

I NEED TO REACTVIATE MY INACTIVE ENROLLED AGENT LICENSE. WHAT IS THE PRODEDURE

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

MY EQ LICENSE WENT ON INACTIVE AS OF 2016. I NEED TO GET OFF INACTIVATE STATUS

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
10/2/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 7 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

Enrolled agents use Form 8554 to renew on a staggered schedule, based on the last digit of the enrolled agent’s social security number. The renewal period is November 1 through January 31 (do not renew early). To be eligible for renewal, enrolled agents must complete 72 continuing education (CE) credit hours for the three year cycle, with a minimum of 16 CE per year and two CE credit hours per year in Ethics. New enrolled agents have a pro-rated CE requirement for the first renewal, and must earn 2 hours of qualifying CE per month in addition to 2 hours of Ethics per year.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.naea.org/educating-america/what-do-i-need-do-keep-my-license

If you fail to renew your license for two cycles, your license will be inactivated and you will be required to retake the Enrolled Agent exam. Essentially, after the first missed renewal, you have three years to reactivate your license.

Link to Form 8554:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8554.pdf

If you do not require further assistance with this matter, I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant