Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How to report the sale of a property outside US? How to

Customer Question
claim the taxes paid abroad...
How to report the sale of a property outside US? How to claim the taxes paid abroad on the profit made by selling property overseas?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Tax
10/2/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 month ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Hi - My name's Lane.

...

THe income is reported as a capital gain, just as if the property were in the US (Assuming you are a tax resident - U.S. Citizen, Green Card Holder, or one passing the Substantial Presence test).

...

Then you can take the FTC (Foreign Tax Credit). See this: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-tax-credit

...

You may also be able to take a treaty based position, depending on the country and the terms of any existing double taxation treaty between the U.S. and that country.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Foreign country is India
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do we have to show the details of purchase n sale or just profit made? What kind of support documents needed

You'll just show the capital gain on schedule D (actually the "feeder form" for that is form 8949 which will then flow to the schedule D)

...

Capital gain = Sales price - basis

...

Where Basis = either purchase price + improvements OR fair market as of the date of death, it you received through inheritance.

...

Then the Foreign tax credit is taken on form 1666, based purely on the actual taxes paid in India

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS