Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a quick question about promissory notes. My company…

Customer Question
I have a quick question...
I have a quick question about promissory notes. My company is loaning me $21,000 for a short time frame. I am to pay the loan back within 12 months. Do I owe tax on the $21,000 when it is paid back?The loan is structured to include 1.5% interest and the terms of the loan are all in the document. From what I can tell I am only charged tax on the $21,000 if the loan is forgiven and I don't owe the debt. Is that correct?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
10/2/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

That's absolutely right. Loan proceeds are never deductible to the lender nor taxable to the borrower.

...

UNLESS, as you say, the loan is not repaid (IRS calls this a net increase in wealth - anecdotally, Cancellation of Debt" - COD - income).

...

And in that case, the lender takes a bad debts deduction.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney