Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If a taxpayer has no tax activity for the 2016 tax year but…

If a taxpayer has no...
If a taxpayer has no tax activity for the 2016 tax year but has a NOL carryover from 2015, do they need to file a 2016 tax return to continue the trail of the NOL?Thanks,
JW
10/2/2017
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The taxpayer is NOT required to file 2016 tax return just because there was a NOL carried forward from the previous year.

While that might be helpful for tracking purposes - still not required.

However - when NOL will be used for instance for 2017 tax year - the taxpayer will need to provide a portion of NOL applied to 2016 tax year regardless if that tax return was not filed.

thanks!

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all Social Security / Tax related issues.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor