Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If I buy a commercial + residential rental income property…

Customer Question
If I buy a commercial...
If I buy a commercial + residential rental income property worth $1.2M in TEA. I will put in 250k in down payments and gradually invest $150k via mortgage payments and $100 for the salaries of the staff I will hire for the online business over the next two years. Will this plan satisfy EB5 requirements?
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
10/2/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 10 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

In this case, does the acronym TEA mean Total Entrepreneurial Activity? If not, please define.

-----------------------------

On the surface, it sounds as though this this transaction will meet the EB5 requirements if your investment will create 10 or more full time positions for qualifying employees within a 2 year period. SEE BELOW:

---------------------------------

All EB-5 investors must invest in a new commercial enterprise, which is a commercial enterprise:

• Established after Nov. 29, 1990, or
  • Established on or before Nov. 29, 1990, that is:
    1. Purchased and the existing business is restructured or reorganized in such a way that a new commercial enterprise results, or
    2. Expanded through the investment so that at least a 40-percent increase in the net worth or number of employees occurs

Commercial enterprise means any for-profit activity formed for the ongoing conduct of lawful business including, but not limited to:

• A sole proprietorship
  • Partnership (whether limited or general)
  • Holding company
  • Joint venture
  • Corporation
  • Business trust, or
  • Other entity, which may be publicly or privately owned.

This definition includes a commercial enterprise consisting of a holding company and its wholly owned subsidiaries, provided that each such subsidiary is engaged in a for-profit activity formed for the ongoing conduct of a lawful business.

---------------------------------

An EB-5 investor must invest the required amount of capital in a new commercial enterprise that will create full-time positions for at least 10 qualif​ying​ employees.​

• For a new commercial enterprise ​not located within a regional center​,​ ​the full-time positions ​must be created​ directly by the new commercial enterprise to be counted.​ ​This means that the new commercial enterprise (or its ​wholly owned​ subsidiaries) must itself be the employer of the qualifying employees​.​​
  • For a new commercial enterprise located within a regional center, the f​ull-time positions ​can be created​ either directly or indirectly by the new commercial enterprise. ​​
    • Direct jobs are those jobs that establish an employer-employee relationship between the new commercial enterprise and the persons it employs.
    • Indirect jobs are those jobs held outside of the new commercial enterprise but that are created as a result of the new commercial enterprise.
  • In the case of a troubled business, the EB-5 investor may rely on job maintenance.
    • The investor ​must show that the number of existing employees is being​,​ or will be​,​ maintained at no less than the pre-investment level for a period of at least ​2​ ​years.​

--------------------------------------

A qualifying employee is a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident or other immigrant authorized to work in the United States including, but not limited to, a conditional resident, a temporary resident, an asylee, a refugee, or a person residing in the United States under suspension of deportation. This definition does not include the immigrant investor; his or her spouse, sons, or daughters; or any foreign national in any nonimmigrant status (such as an H-1B nonimmigrant) or who is not authorized to work in the United States.

Full-time employment means employment of a qualifying employee by the new commercial enterprise in a position that requires a minimum of 35 working hours per week. In the case of the regional center program, "full-time employment" also means employment of a qualifying employee in a position that has been created indirectly that requires a minimum of 35 working hours per week.

A job-sharing arrangement whereby two or more qualifying employees share a full-time position will count as full-time employment provided the hourly requirement per week is met. This definition does not include combinations of part-time positions even if, when combined, the positions meet the hourly requirement per week.

Jobs that are intermittent, temporary, seasonal, or transient in nature do not qualify as permanent full-time jobs. However, jobs that are expected to last at least 2 years are generally not considered intermittent, temporary, seasonal, or transient in nature.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.uscis.gov/working-united-states/permanent-workers/employment-based-immigration-fifth-preference-eb-5/about-eb-5-visa-classification

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter. If not, I ask that you please take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response. A 5 star rating is appreciated. Thank you in advance.