Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

This year I was put on SS Disability. I have 4 grandchildren…

Customer Question
This year I was...

This year I was put on SS Disability. I have 4 grandchildren that I provide over 50% of their welfare and claimed them last year when I only worked 4 months. Is there any problem with my income status change as far as the children?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

61 years old, one year before medicaid and 4 yrs till Medicare

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
10/1/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 10 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

SS Disability is usually not taxable income unless you have other substantial income. If your ONLY income is from SS Disability, you would not be required to file a tax return/claim your grandchildren as dependents.

You were able to claim them last year because you worked for 4 months.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb