Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question about my Pet Sitting business that im

Customer Question
Hello, I have a question...
Hello, I have a question about my Pet Sitting business that im running. So my fiance is on social security, food stamps, heating assistance, we live in low income housing, and so forth. I do not have any other job, besides what I do in my pet sitting business. I work for cash, personal checks, and paypal, which I keep track of in a composition book by how many miles and how much I make from the client. His family is getting all stressed out because they think he will lose everything, his public assistance, social security benefits, etc. They are afraid for me to advertise online because they think they will get in trouble, his mother is his payee. I wanted to hire an employee to help out with the business but his mother stopped me from doing that to, because shes afraid someone is going to get hurt or lose the dog, and that I need to get insurance which I know there is pet sitters insurance out there, I feel like im being so controlled and can't do what I love and can't be successful. Will this effect anything and what can I do to resolve this? They said I will owe money at the end of the year instead of collecting which makes my business "not worth it"
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
10/1/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 10 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

It sounds like you are in a bad situation with other people telling you what to do and what not to do.

You may not owe money when you file your tax return. It depends on your net income.

As to your fiance's social security, food stamps, heating assistance, low income housing, etc., some programs are affected by the household income. So because you are earning money by working, that could affect his benefits.

Other than that, I'm not really sure why your fiance's mother believes that it is HER business to tell you how to run YOUR business.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 10 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Different expert here. My name is Angela. Regarding the assistance programs, if the household income exceeds a certain amount, his eligibility WILL be affected, with likely all of the programs. SEE BELOW:

Heating Assistance:

If there are onle 2 of you in the household, the income limit cannot exceed $24,360.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.dhs.pa.gov/citizens/heatingassistanceliheap/homeheatingassistanceliheapeligibility/index.htm

-------------------------

Regarding social security, is it social security retirement, disability, or SSI?

--------------------------

Low Income Housing:

There are different types of low income housing programs in PA. From what I can tell, they all are based on income and household size. You should find out what low income housing program he is under and look up the income requirements. In addition, usually with low income housing, everyone who is living in the home needs to be on the lease agreement.

--------------------------

Food Stamps/SNAP Program:

For a household with 2, the monthly gross income limit is $2,136

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.dhs.pa.gov/citizens/supplementalnutritionassistanceprogram/snapincomelimits/

----------------------------------

While it is not anyone else's business, I can understand the family's concern. If for any reason the state was to find out about you running a business out of the home, he could very well lose his eligibility status for low income housing and the other program benefits as well. Even though you are paid in cash, etc. and there is really not a paper trail, you have to keep in mind that people talk. You never know, your neighbors could drop a dime on you, worse yet, someone in the family can contact the IRS and tell them that you are not reporting all of your income. There are a number of scenarios to take into consideration here. Respectfully...playing devil's advocate here, look at the big picture. Take into consideration what is at stake for your fiance, and for you for that matter.

If I have shed a little light on the matter for you, I ask that you take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated.