Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have been divorced for 11 years and I will be getting

Customer Question
I have been divorced...

I have been divorced for 11 years and I will be getting married in November or December of this year. Will I still be able to claim head of household for the tax season of 2017?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

No I don't believe so. Just that one question

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
10/1/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional replied 10 months ago
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

Your filing status is determined on the last day of the year. If you are married before December 31st 3017 then your filing options are generally Married filing Jointly or Married filing separately. There is an exception, if you have been separated from your spouse for six months at the end of the tax year.

You are not able to file as head of household if you are married and living with your spouse on December 31st

If you have any further questions please let me know.

If you are satisfied with this answer, a positive rating by clicking on three stars or more would be appreciated.

Thank you!

If you have no further questions please take a moment to accept the answer

Thank you!