Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am selling a piece of real property and our state requires…

Customer Question
I am selling a...

I am selling a piece of real property and our state requires us to pay state income tax withhold as part of the transaction which reduces our cash proceeds at the point of sale. Does the payment of this state withholding reduce the adjusted basis for Federal capital gain tax purposes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

I live in california and it is a long term gain that includes an adjustment for a earlier tax free exchange.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
10/1/2017
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 10 months ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The state withholding is just a prepayment of your tax liability, an estimate. You will get a credit for it when you file your CA tax return. Therefore you cannot reduce the adjusted basis for federal capital gains tax purposes by the amount withheld the same way you cannot reduce your W2 income or pension check by the amount withheld by your employer or investment company. It is the same principle.

However what you can do, you can deduct the withholding as state and local taxes on Schedule A - Itemized deduction on your federal return.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?