Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Is Social Security Disability Benefits paid out according to…

Is Social Security Disability...

Is Social Security Disability Benefits paid out according to the life span years you worked or the last five years you worked? I asked this question because I was told I do not have enough money in the system to get disability, and it was paid according to the latest term I have worked. I have put money in the system since High School and worked part-time from 2004-2015 due to termination in 2003 from a corporation that did not see a need for my position after I filed a lawsuit. I am currently 45 and would like to know if the information is accurate or am I being challenged?

Accountant's Assistant: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else the Retirement Accountant should be aware of?

That is it for now.

10/1/2017
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to type my answer.

In order to qualify for Social Security Disability Income (SSDI), you must suffer from a permanent condition that prevents you from working. In other words, your disability must have lasted, or be expected to last, a minimum of twelve months and you must be unable to earn an income greater than $1,130 per month (prior to 2016, this standard allowable level of Substantial Gainful Activity was only $1,090 per month).

In addition, you must have earned sufficient work credits in order to qualify for SSDI. The normal requirement is a total of 40 credits, 20 of which must have been earned in the 10 years prior to the onset of disability. Usually, this means that a person must have a fairly consistent work history and have worked (and paid Social Security taxes) for a combined five of the ten years prior to becoming disabled. You appear to have done that.

Who told you that you did not have enough money in the system? How much did you earn from your part-time work? The SSA considers one quarter to be $890 in 2004, increasing to $1,260 in 2016. So if you made $5,200 per year each year from 2004 to now, you would have enough to qualify. When did your disability start? That is when they look for the prior 40 quarters to end. If you started in high school (I assume 1990) and then had a corporate job, you should have hit that 40 quarter requirement.

You can go online to the SSA website and print out your earnings history. Is it possible that your employer did not report your wages to SSA? I've seen that before, especially if they had you on a cash job, or paid you as an independent contractor.

I hope I have helped you with your issue. If you have any questions, please let me know and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great weekend!

taxmanrog