Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How can a person find out if they have actually won a prize…

Customer Question
Hello, how can a...

Hello, how can a person find out if they have actually won a prize and it is awaiting a fee to be paid to the irs to receive the prize winnings or is this normally a scam

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I was told that I had won a prize however it was awaiting a fee to be paid to IRS in order to receive. I am trying to locate the name of the organization right now

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

The name is***** & Facebook Bonus Prize Giveaway

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
9/29/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 10 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

SCAM

If you have to pay anything up front then it is not reliable. Taxes are withheld or pay when you file your return they are not required to be paid prior to any winnings being released.

That type of scam has been around awhile.

PAY THE TAX, THEN GET THE PRIZE. The caller says you’ve won a prize and all you have to do to get it is pay the income tax due. Don't believe it. If you really won a prize, you may need to make an estimated tax payment to cover the taxes that will be due at the end of the year. But the payment goes to the IRS – not the caller. Whether you’ve won cash, a car, or a trip, the prize giver generally sends you and the IRS a Form 1099 showing the total prize value that should be reported on your tax return.

It may have moved to social media but the premise is the same. If you want to test these people let me know, I will tell you what to say to them

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.