Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm trying to track down a 2015 W2. Can you help? A former…

Customer Question
Hi. I'm trying to...

Hi. I'm trying to track down a 2015 W2. Can you help?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

A former employer is unable to locate my 2015 W2 form. I need it for a pre approval for a mortgage.

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

No. I just need a copy of that form. It was for a restaurant called On the Border.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
9/29/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 7 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

You can get the W2 in one of two ways. The easiest way would be to request a copy of your Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS for TY 2015 online for free. The transcript will show the W2 information. The 2nd way is requesting it from social security. However, the social security office will charge you for it. Go to the following link to request the Wage and Income Transcript from the IRS.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter. If not, I ask that you please be so kind as to take the time to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I'M NOT SURE HOW TO GO ABOUT REQUESTING THAT INFORMATION OFF OF THE IRS' WEBSITE. WHEN I SEARCH 'WAGE AND INCOME TRANSCRIPT' A BUNCH OF OTHER SITES POP UP.

Hello again,

When you go the IRS webpage, you click on the blue box titled Get Transcript Online. After clicking on that box, you will be directed to another page where you can sign up to create an account. I just tried it, the process works on my end.

If the page does not contain personal information, send me a screenshot of the page that comes up when you tried it. I would like to see what it looks like.

I DO NOT SEE IT ON MY END. WHERE ON THE WEB PAGE CAN I FIND THAT BOX?
I AM NOT ON A SMART PHONE, I AM ON A DESK TOP COMPUTER.

I will make a pdf of the page and send it to you as an attachment. Let me know if the page that you are arriving at looks like the one I send. I will get back to you shortly.

Ok. The page that I am sending you does not show the colors, but as you can see, at the bottom of the page there are two boxes. One of the boxes is titled Get Transcript Online.

OKAY I THINK I FOUND IT.

Ok. Good deal.

IT IS SAYING MY INFORMATION DOES NOT MATCH ANYTHING ON THEIR RECORDS.

When you get that message, something isn't matching, could be your name, AGI, etc. In this case, you have to call the IRS and request it over the telephone. 1-***-***-****. It can be faxed or emailed to you. I know for certain that it can be faxed to you, however, a client of mine mentioned that they emailed her transcripts to her. Be prepared to be on hold for a long period of time. Requesting anything from the IRS via telephone is usually not a quick process. They will ask you some identifying questions as well. You will need to know the answers to the questions they ask before they will send the transcript to you.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant