Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I want a tax accountant who is familier with money earnt on…

Customer Question
I want a tax...

I want a tax accountant who is familier with money earnt on cruise lines

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I need one in Adelaide as I need help in understand in the law regarding income earnt on board a ship registered in Bermuda but staff paid in American dollars is it tax free if you don't live here but just have your children residing here and you come for holidays if it isn't tax free when did the law change

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Yes no tax returns were sent in to austrailia as all land tax was upto date and I am a nz citizen and have only had a house here since 2015

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 2 days by:
10/1/2017
Tax Professional: taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 months ago
taxmanrog
taxmanrog, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Welcome to Just Answer! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you! I will do my best to help!

Please give me a few minutes to type my answer.

Australia has not changed their residency or tax rules. They are just getting more sophisticated in how they are enforced.

I've had several clients work on cruise lines, one as a captain. They typically spend 200 - 250 days on board, and the rest of the time they are off ship. I am assuming that your situation is similar, and that the time you are not working is when you are vacationing in Australia.

Australia taxes its residents on worldwide income, so if you are an Australian resident, you would be taxed on your income even if it was earned offshore on the ship. You would be taxed in Australia even if you worked in Dubai and returned to Australia for R&R if you are deemed to be an Australian resident.

Australia has four tests for residency. They go in order of significance, so once you pass one, you do not need to look any further.

The first test is the step is the residence test. This is the primary test of tax residency. It assesses a range of factors to determine whether you reside in Australia and are therefore a resident for tax purposes. The test takes into account factors such as the purpose of your presence in Australia, your family and business ties, whether you open bank accounts, and your social and living arrangements. In your situation, you own a house in Australia. Your children reside in Australia, possibly in the house you own (how old are they?). You return to Australia when you are not working. I am assuming that you have Australian bank accounts, if for nothing more than convenience. So based on the above facts, the ATO would more than likely say that you are a resident. They have a number of cases that have similar facts that they can look to when reaching this conclusion, and you would have great difficulty to prove other wise.

The second test is the domicile test. If your domicile, or permanent home, is in Australia, you will be classified as an Australian resident for tax purposes. You have to have a domicile somewhere. Yours would not be on your ship, as that is a transient location. So, looking at the facts that you have listed above, the ATO would stay that your domicile is in Australia, unless you can prove you have a domicile elsewhere. Your ship's flag, or your currency of compensation, have nothing to do with your domicile. So, do you have a domicile somewhere other than in Australia? A domicile is where you live, where you have your home, where your family is, where you vote, where you return to when not working, where you have your bank accounts, where your driver's license is from, etc. If you do not have one outside of Australia, then the ATO would stay that you are an Australian tax resident. You have NZ citizenship, so if you say that you have a NZ domicile, then NZ will tax you on your worldwide income, so your cruise ship wages would be taxed in NZ.

The remaining two tests you would fail. The first is the 183 day test. If you spend 183 days in Australia during a tax year (does not need to be consecutive, there can be breaks) then you are a tax resident. The final test is the superannuation test. IF you are covered by a super, you are considered a resident. This test applies mainly to government employees working outside of Australia.

So, in sum, the ATO would more than likely say that you are an Australian tax resident, and your cruise ship earnings would be subject to tax in Australia. The only way you could contest that is to prove that you have a tax home somewhere else.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any more, please feel free to ask and I will be happy to answer.

Thanks! Have a great week.

I have not heard back from you. Do you have any further questions?

If you do not, please remember to rate me, as this is how questions are closed.

Thanks!