Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

North Carolina tax clearance code how do I get one and how…

Customer Question
North Carolina tax clearance...

North Carolina tax clearance code how do I get one and how much does it cost

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Non resident foe wire transfer the Bank requested a clearance certificate

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

I have no income in North Carolina

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
9/28/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 7 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

Are you sure this isn't a scam of some sort? Scammers who have told you that you have money coming (foreign sweepstakes or lottery, an inheritance from an uncle you didn't know, etc., etc., - but always have the same theme, you have to pay us money to get your money) many times use an official sounding term such as tax clearance letter (of even a real term used incorrectly) to make the request sound legitimate.

...

In North Carolina a Tax Status Compliance Certificate is called a Tax Compliance Certificate and is issued by the North Carolina Department of Revenue for a Company (Corporation or LLC) or Sole Proprietor which has met all of its North Carolina tax obligations.

...

Other names for a North Carolina Tax Compliance Certificate include:

• North Carolina Certificate of Good Standing
  • North Carolina Tax Status Letter
  • North Carolina Certificate of Status
  • North Carolina Letter of Good Standing
  • North Carolina Tax Clearance Certificate
  • North Carolina Tax Clearance Letter
  • North Carolina Certificate of Account Status
  • North Carolina Entity Status Letter

https://www.getincnow.com/North-Carolina-Tax-Status-Compliance-Information.php

...

But all this is, is a certificate showing that your sole proprietorship or other business has paid it's taxes (many times needed to dissolve or reinstate a corporation).

...

Is this to receive money that you didn't know you had coming?

This is a fund transferred by Barclays UK and blocked by Fincen cleared as advised by person from Barclay's cleared by IRS, and Treasury, the Bank of America North Carolina head Bank requested I have made inquiries with the tax office and they require fee to issue tax clearance for the fund and 300 for Affidavit, this by a Lawyer for Barclay's NY.
I questioned that this is correct for international transfer I am a Canadian, I have written to NC Tax they sent me a letter I had nothing outstanding.

Right. Do you know the source of the funds? Do you know the person trying to send you this money?

...

This sounds so VERY familiar to the many scams we see here.

...

Bot***** *****ne .. if they're ASKING you for money, therein lies the scam. You'll pay and one of teo things will happen:

...,

(1) You'll never hear from them again, or

(2) They will ask you for even more money for yet another ('tax',' 'clearance code,' ' customs fee,' etc. etc.

...

Now if you KNOW this entity and this is not about getting something you weren't expecting, then you have the closest thing that there is to a NC compliance certificate, NC taxing authorities telling you that you owe nothing.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS