Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a regular IRA $40, and want to confirm what a State…

Customer Question
I have a regular...

I have a regular IRA $40, and want to confirm what a State Emp Credit Union told me. I paid $160, for my NC home and am considering buying a house for $235, in WVa. I owe $30, on my NC home. My goal is to not have a mortgage pmt at the next home. DOB ***********, I will be 70.5 Dec 2019. Question: Can I apply some or all of the IRA money towards purchase of the WVa home now without tax/penalties? I was told I have a big cushion before I'm liable for Capital Gains and I should be able to withdrawal from the IRA if it's applied directly towards the new purchase. What do you think?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

I am retired, single & only dependent is a dog :):) Only income is SS 1,544. mo. Have nearly $12,000 in credit card debt (0% int). I have recently settled w/ NC over a broken leg with $$ are non taxable.

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
9/28/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional replied 10 months ago
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®
Chad EA, CDFA®, CFP®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER ®, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** ® professional.

Any funds withdrawn from a traditional IRA are included in your ordinary income and taxed at your current ordinary income tax rate.

You may have a cushion as a single tax payer to exclude gains up to $250,000 on your federal taxes for a primary residence if you meet all the requirements.

I would be happy to clarify my answer above or answer any additional questions you may have.

Thank you!

If you have any further questions please let me know.

If you are satisfied with this answer, a positive rating by clicking on three stars or more would be appreciated.

Thank you!