Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Question is to establish the ownership of a laptop. My

Customer Question
Question is to establish...

Question is to establish the ownership of a laptop. My husband recently started a business as general contractor. The business is on his name, he has the general contractor license. However I have been financing the business using the paychecks I receive for my full time job. I bought a laptop for business use. I bought the laptop on Amazon, using my amazon account and using my personal credit card. I support the business in other ways too: I do the book keeping, I am responsible for website maintenance.

Accountant's Assistant: What state is this in? And when did the issue begin?

Colorado, 9/23/2017

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

No

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. I am working on a graduate degree, in addition to my full time job. To support the business, I withdrew from Fall semester. On the business accounting books, this laptop is recorded as an expense for the business. My husband and I agreed that he was going to pay me back the almost $20K I spent on his business. on9/23, he denied this verbal agreement, and said I don't have written agreement where it says he would pay me back. So I decided to take the laptop back telling him, if he is not paying for the laptop (and the other things), and I am taking the laptop back. Given the nature of the business, him being the owner, but the business being the family business and me funding the business expenses, who would be the legal owner of the laptop?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
I need legal advice, not tax related advice. unless I am getting an answer from a lawyer, I want to cancel my question.
9/28/2017
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 7 months ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi! My name is Richard & I will be helping you today! It will take me a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

Good morning. Do you and your husband have any kind of a prenuptial agreement? Thank you!

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney