Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I received a k1 that says my guaranteed payment is less than…

Customer Question
I received a k1...

I received a k1 that says my guaranteed payment is less than my gross income. my employer withheld taxes. what is going to happen when i file?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Do i file my tax return with the information on my k1? or the information on my paystub?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/28/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

As ordinary income, guaranteed payments aren't subject to income tax and FICA tax withholding as a salary would be; instead, guaranteed payments are subject to estimated income taxes and self-employment taxes.

Q1: my employer withheld taxes. what is going to happen when i file?

A1: When you file, you will use the information from the Schedule K-1. Include an explanation indicating that in error, the employer withheld taxes from the guaranteed payment. The guaranteed payment being less than gross income is likely going to raise a red flag with the IRS, but you should be ok as long as you can show that taxes were withheld from the guaranteed payment.

Q2: do i file my tax return with the information on my k1? or the information on my paystub?

A2: You would use the information on the Schedule K-1.

If you do not require additional information regarding this matter. I ask that you be so kind and scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I would suggest obtaining a corrected Schedule K-1, but since the taxes were withheld and likely already paid in, the Schedule K-1 has to show the actual amount paid to you.

The individual partner reports guaranteed payments on Schedule E (Form 1040) as ordinary income, along with his or her distributive share of the partnership's other ordinary income.

my employer has not paid the money to the irs. do i just be honest when i file and let the irs sort it out? or ask my employer to pay me the money that was withheld?

Hello again.

If your employer has not paid the money that was withheld in, let him or her know that they were not supposed to withhold taxes, refund you the money that they withheld as taxes and issue you a corrected Schedule K-1. If the employer refuses to do the above, then I would file the tax return using the information on the Schedule K-1 with an explanation and let the IRS deal with it. When the company files its tax return, a copy of the Schedule k-1 for each partner is filed as well.