Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am going to sell my house that I have not lived in? What…

Customer Question
I am going to...

I am going to sell my house that I have not lived in? What type of taxes will have to pay on the profit?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What else do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?

I don't know

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
9/26/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 10 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

The gain - not the total proceeds - will be subject to income tax.

So the first step is to determine the gain which is calculated as

(selling price) MINUS (adjusted basis) MINUS (selling expenses).

The basis is actually your purchase price.

That basis is adjusted by improvements and some other items depending how the property was used.

If the property was inherited - the basis is the fair market value at the time the decedent passed away.

THAT gain will be added to your other taxable income.

If the property was owned more than a year - the gain will be long term capital gain - taxed at reduced rates - in most situations not more than 15%.

Let me know if you need any help with reporting.