Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My tax preparer is with Liberty Tax, and filed incorrect

Customer Question
Hi. My tax preparer is...
Hi. My tax preparer is with Liberty Tax, and filed incorrect returns without my knowledge or significantly
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: Singitpp Signature
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?
Customer: Signiture
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Tax
9/26/2017
Tax Professional: Chad CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 2 months ago
Chad CFP ®
Chad CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

To report a tax return preparer for improper tax preparation practices, complete and send Form 14157, Complaint: Tax Return Preparer with all supporting documentation to the IRS. The form and documentation can be faxed or mailed, but please do not do both

You can report a tax return preparer for misconduct, such as:

• Embezzling your refund.
  • Altering your tax return documents.
  • Filing a return without your consent.
  • Creating or omitting income to generate a larger refund.
  • Creating false exemptions or dependents to generate a larger refund.
  • Creating false expenses, deductions or credits to generate a larger refund.
  • Using an incorrect filing status to generate a larger refund.

How you report a tax return preparer for misconduct depends on whether or not you received a notice or letter.

For more information click on the link below.

https://www.irs.gov/tax-professionals/make-a-complaint-about-a-tax-return-preparer

If you have a dispute with the way your taxes where previously filed by a tax preparer you should contact the Tax Payer Advocacy Services if the submitted tax return is causing you issues.

You may contact the Tax Payer Advocacy Services by clicking on the link below and find your local office.

https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/contact-us

If you have any further questions please let me know.

If you are satisfied with this answer, a positive rating by clicking on three stars or more would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Is there a reason an attorney would charge $3500, it fix this, compared to hid regular filing fee of $500.
Is thst because he thinks there is competition due for misconduct?

I don't know the whole situtation, but I believe the $3,500 would be a retainer fee, which would be returned if the attorney didn't spend as much time repairing the issue.

Filing the paperwork Form 14157, does take time to complete, especially if you are not familiar with the tax return.

I do not need a referral to the IRS.
I can not find an abswe on the Internet if the tax preparer is liable
I need some major issues fixed

If the tax preparer filed without your consent then that would be an issue with may be addressed through form 14157

If you need a major issue fixed then you do need to communicate with the IRS and if you don't feel comfortable representing yourself, then you should hire an Enrolled Agent or an Attorney.

If you have no further questions please take a moment to accept the answer so I may be compensated for my work.

Please give me an answer y or no, is there financial liabilities to me for these incorrect and intentional income reports to IRS for just made up info, income,
On my Income returns? Example; money made up as income for the tax credits?
Can I sue, for fraudulent information that I did not ever see before he filed without my authorization?
No, this is not a retainer, flat fee

Yes, there is a liability for you to correct your personal tax return. The preparer may also be penalized

The first step is filing the Form 14157 to notify the IRS. Then you should amend your return with the correct information as soon as possible.

I am stepping into a conference, but will be happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

Again, if you have no further questions please do take a moment to accept the answer so I may be compensated for my work.

Thank you!

The attorney referred to this person as a preditor.
My friend is a Judge, this attorney does her taxes, she makes a lot more money, has 26 rentals and his regular fee is $500...
I do not expect you to be a mind readers, I am just wondering if I can sue
FOR this mess, thatI believe is fraudulent and intentional.

You are able to sue for just about anything. Your attorney would be in the best position to let you know your legal standing.

Your original question was:

" My tax preparer is with Liberty Tax, and filed incorrect returns without my knowledge or significantly"

If this was the case I would start with amending your taxes and notifying the IRS. Regardless, of what the tax preparer has done, if you are aware of a mistake whether fraudulent or not, you must correct the mistake as soon as you are aware.

I am only compensated for my time and answering your questions if I receive a positive rating, which you may do by clicking on three stars or more would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Work must be short, you have spent mire time asking for your chump change.
I'm sorry, but your answered with obvious answers, nothing I didn't already know.
I already asked for my money back.
It would have been more helpful if you offered a similar case that I could review.
Remember you are supposed to be the expert. I was looking for a more specific answer. And that is not what I got. Sorry, but your answer did not assist me at all.
Thanks anyway, I hope my feedback is helpful is increasing your income.

You changed your initial question several times, asked me specific yes or no questions, which I answered and I gave you the specific answer for which form to fill out

Then you came back, insulted me and didn't pay one penny for the time you used of mine.

"Please give me an answer y or no"

My reply "Yes"

You can't get any more specific then that

Chad CFP ®
Chad CFP ®