Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

We are trying to get a letter of determination. I filled a…

Customer Question
Hello pearl, we are...

Hello pearl, we are trying to get a letter of determination. I filled a 990V postcard a couple of weeks ago for the first time. Will I also have to pay money to get the letter ?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Trying to get a letter of determination ... we filed a 990V for the first time a few weeks ago. What do i need to do to get the letter from the IRS ?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

We are a church with a 501c3 and have tax exempt status and proper filing with the state , but we do not have a federal letter of determination ?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
9/26/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 9 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Welcome to JustAnswer! My name is***** ® professional and I will be able to assist you today.

Typically, IRS 501(c)(3) approval takes between 2 and 12 months, inclusive of likely written follow-up questions. Sometimes it takes a little less; sometimes a little more.

Expedited review can be requested if a new organization is being formed to provide immediate disaster relief or if a promised grant is both 1) substantial relative to the organization’s budget and 2) the grant has a specifically- defined expiration date. There is no guarantee the IRS will grant expedited review requests.

One of the primary reasons for the long review period is the amount of time it takes for a particular case to assigned to a review agent. Depending upon the volume of applications being received by the IRS at any given time, I have seen periods be as short as 30 days and as long as 8 months.

Additionally, the IRS is e-file system has been offline for the past two weeks and there is no estimated time to completion.

Here is an additional article for your conformation.

https://www.thebalance.com/why-approval-for-501c3-takes-so-long-2501880

If you have any further questions please let me know.

If you are satisfied with this answer, a positive rating by clicking on three stars or more would be appreciated. Thank you!

Thank you!