Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have an employee that wants to claim exempt status on his…

Customer Question
I have an employee...

I have an employee that wants to claim exempt status on his weekly payroll check. Is this ok as long s he signs the form or is there some law that says cannot do that/

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

I have an employee that wants to claim exempt status on his weekly payroll check. Is this ok as long if he signs the w-4 form or is there some law that says cannot do that?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 7 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. This is acceptable if the employee claims this on the W-4. If the IRS sends you a lock in letter you would need to change the employee's withholding to single and zero. A lock in letter would be issued after an individual under withholds for several years in a row.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor