Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I want to monetize a 111k capital loss that I have from the…

Customer Question
I want to monetize...

I want to monetize a 111k capital loss that I have from the sale of my Fathers house which I inherited after he died

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

His house was appraised at 960k...I sold it for 850k, which left me with 110,900 capitol loss on my income tax

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 10 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. IS the $960K value when you inherited the property?

He had no will so I had to go thru probate...the appraised value at the time of his death was 960k...I sold the property a 1 year and 2 days after death for 850k...which caused me a110,900k loss
I just put that card on file and its good

You would be able to claim a long-term loss of $110,900 on schedule D. The amount of the loss is limited to $3,000 per year but you would be able to apply the loss to other capital gains.

Did you want to try to initiate another phone call. It will not allow me to do it.

I know. I don't want to carry forward...I'm looking for a way to monetize the entire 110,900 at one time...like becoming a partner in a llc and letting them but the credits for 90 cents on the dollar

Even if it is in a LLC you would still have a capital loss that is limited to $3,000. Placing the property in a LLC would not change the character of the loss.

thank you

It was my pleasure. I was happy to help. If you would take a moment to rate my response I would greatly appreciate it. There should be stars locate above the question. This is the only way that I will receive credit for helping you today. If you have additional questions or need clarification I would be happy to continue the conversation. Thank you.