Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My ex husband recently passed away. We were married 27 years

My ex husband recently passed...
My ex husband recently passed away. We were married 27 years and had 4 children. We both remarried and his wife passed away 2 years ago. Am I able to get social security on his past income?
JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: My ex husband recently passed away and his wife also passed away. During our 27 years of marriage, I did not work. Am I able to claim any of his social security benefits?
JA: These retirement benefits are supposed to help us but they can be so complicated! The Retirement Expert will help you get the most benefits propertly. Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?
Customer: I was 45 when we divorced and worked until 60, so my SS benefits are not much. Someone told me I would be eligible for his SS.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Are you still married to your second husband?

Thank you for the information.

If you are divorced, but your marriage lasted 10 years or longer, you can receive benefits on your ex-spouse's record (even if they have remarried) if:

• You are unmarried;
  • You are age 62 or older;
  • Your ex-spouse is entitled to Social Security retirement or disability benefits; and
  • The benefit you are entitled to receive based on your own work is less than the benefit you would receive based on your ex-spouse's work.

Unfortunately, because you are remarried, you cannot collect on your ex-spouse's social security benefits.

Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Thank you for taking the time to positively rate my answer. It is very much appreciated.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent