Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am 62 years old, and will be getting a 39,000 401k

Customer Question
Hi, I am 62...

Hi, I am 62 years old, and will be getting a 39,000 401k distribution by the end of the year. I plan on rolling most of it over, but was curious how I would be taxed on a portion of it being used

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Think that's it... I just was. Heinous how much I would be taxed. Will there be any penalty?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/25/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

Note that if the entire amount of the $39,000 is actually be distributed to you ( a check made out to you, direct deposited into your bank account, etc.),you will be taxed on the full amount of the $39,000. The tax rate of the distribution will be at your ordinary tax rate. As you are older than 59-1/2 years old you will not be assessed the early withdrawal penalty. In order for you not to be taxed on the portion that you want to rollover, the funds will need to go directly to that rollover account, and not pass through your hands first. In addition, depending upon your state residence, the plan administrator may be required to withhold 20% of the withdrawal amount for for federal and state tax purposes. For more distribution options, you can feel free to refer to the following link:

https://www.smart401k.com/resource-center/retirement-strategy/401k-distribution-options

If I have provided you with the necessary information, I ask that you be so kind as to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant