Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

How do I get the code to put on my tax returns to eliminate…

Customer Question
How do I get...

How do I get the code to put on my tax returns to eliminate someone from the Equifax identity from getting my refund?

Accountant's Assistant: We have a 30 day refund policy so you can simply email***@******.*** and they will try to fix your problem or refund your money.

On TV they said to contact the IRS and they'll give you a code that only you will know tp put on your returns, to prevent the theft.

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

So, you're telling me I have to wait until my money is stolen?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
9/25/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 7 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is***** will be assisting you.

It sounds as if you are referring to the IP PIN (Identity Protection PIN). In order to obtain this PIN, SEE BELOW:

-----------------------------

What's an IP PIN?

An IP PIN is a six-digit number assigned to eligible taxpayers that helps prevent the misuse of their Social Security number on fraudulent federal income tax returns.

Important: You currently can’t opt-out once you get an IP PIN. You must use your IP PIN to confirm your identity on all federal tax returns you file this year and in future tax years.

Getting Your IP PIN

To get your IP PIN, you must be eligible as determined in Step 1 below. You’ll receive your IP PIN online once we verify your identity. We’ll send you a new IP PIN each December by postal mail.

1. Determine your eligibility...

You must get an IP PIN to file your current or prior year tax returns in 2017 if:

• You lost the CP01A Notice we sent you with your new IP PIN, or
  • You didn't receive your new IP PIN and you had one before, or
  • We rejected your e-file return because your IP PIN was missing or incorrect

You may choose to get an IP PIN only if:

2. What you need...

To register and use this service, you need:

• Your Social Security number, date of birth, filing status and mailing address from your latest tax return,
  • Access to your email account,
  • Your credit card number or account number from a car loan, mortgage, home equity loan or home equity line of credit, and
  • A mobile phone with your name on the account.

3. Get your IP PIN!

To get an IP PIN, you must:

• Pass our identity verification secure access process, and
  • Create a user profile

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

At the reference source link there is a blue button titled Get An IPIN Pin. Once you have followed the above instructions, click on that button. If for any reason you cannot obtain the PIN online, there are further instructions on the page.

If the above information clarifies matters for you, I ask that you be so kind as to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. A 5 star rating is most appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant