How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Taylor Your Own Question
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2309
Experience:  Certified Public Accountant
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Mark Taylor is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have sold my house that I co-owned with a friend recently

This answer was rated:

Hello, I have sold my house that I co-owned with a friend recently and made some money on the sale. I want to know if I will owe federal taxes and california taxes on the net profit. Thank you.
JA: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: What more do you need to know?
JA: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?
Customer: I don't know.

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Did you live in the home? How long did you own the home?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I lived in my house and owned it for almost six years.

If you lived in the home for at least 2 out of the past 5 years you would be able to exclude a gain of up to $250,000. Do you expect the gain will be greater than $250,000?

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
I co-owned the house with my friend. Together we had a net profit of approximately $270,000.00. However it was split down the middle between the two of us so I took about $135,000.00.

Since your gain is below $250,000 (I am assuming that you were on the title), the entire gain would be tax free.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
We both were listed on the title. Does this mean that I owe no federal taxes on the sale and no California state taxes?

Yes, you would not owe federal or state taxes. The entire amount would be excluded from taxes.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
This is great news. Thank you so much.

It was my pleasure. If you would take a moment to rate my response I would greatly appreciate it. There should be stars located above the question. This is the only way that I will receive credit for helping you today. If you have additional questions or need clarification I would be happy to continue the conversation. Thank you.

Mark Taylor and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you