Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have sold my house that I co-owned with a friend recently…

Hello, I have sold...

Hello, I have sold my house that I co-owned with a friend recently and made some money on the sale. I want to know if I will owe federal taxes and california taxes on the net profit. Thank you.

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

What more do you need to know?

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

I don't know.

9/25/2017
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Did you live in the home? How long did you own the home?

I lived in my house and owned it for almost six years.

If you lived in the home for at least 2 out of the past 5 years you would be able to exclude a gain of up to $250,000. Do you expect the gain will be greater than $250,000?

I co-owned the house with my friend. Together we had a net profit of approximately $270,000.00. However it was split down the middle between the two of us so I took about $135,000.00.

Since your gain is below $250,000 (I am assuming that you were on the title), the entire gain would be tax free.

We both were listed on the title. Does this mean that I owe no federal taxes on the sale and no California state taxes?

Yes, you would not owe federal or state taxes. The entire amount would be excluded from taxes.

This is great news. Thank you so much.

It was my pleasure. If you would take a moment to rate my response I would greatly appreciate it. There should be stars located above the question. This is the only way that I will receive credit for helping you today. If you have additional questions or need clarification I would be happy to continue the conversation. Thank you.

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor