James Daloisio
James Daloisio, Tax Attorney
Experience:  24 years of continuing education and experience.
76451072

How can get the cusip number for my social security number?

Second opinion] how can get the cusip number for my social security number?JA: The Retirement Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.Customer: ???JA: What confuses you?Customer: what do you need to know?JA: Is there anything else important you think the Retirement Accountant should know?Customer: not really

Hi, my name is***** (again) to Just Answer. That number that appears on the back of social security cards is not a CUSIP number. (CUSIP numbers weren't invented until 1964.) According to the Social Security Administration, that number is "inventory control. Each paper blank now has a number and must be accounted for." This was corroborated by the U.S. Bankruptcy Trustee's Office which researched its records and found "Sequential Control Number. On the rear of a legitimate card there is a sequential control number. The control number is ***** combination of alpha and numeric that bears no relation to the actual social security number on the card. However, the computer records of the Social Security Administration should show a correlation between the control number and the social security number and name on the card."

I personally have tried to obtain my own control number from the back of my social security card by calling the SSA, to no avail. But it is for inventory control and no other purpose. I'd bet that there's a law enforcement agency out there that can correlate this number to the range of SSN's whose inventory it controls, but I haven't found it yet. And I've seen incredibly bizarre stories about that number being a secret bank account routing number, or a "bond number" that allows you to access your social security funds, etc. All urban legends/myths. The bot***** *****ne is that if you had that number, there isn't anything that you'd be able to do with it.

Hope that clears it up. This is a great example of how to find misinformation on the internet!