Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

In Texas A & single females have several rental properties…

Customer Question
In Texas A & B...
In Texas A & B single females have several rental properties in joint tentancy with right of survivorship. The 1099 is under A's SSN.
In 2015 rental income was filed under B's federal tax. IRS now alleges A did not pay income taxes on the property. What is best way to resolve?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/25/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 8 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

Both A and B would be required to report. If you own a part interest in rental property, you must report your part of the rental income from the property.

If you own a part interest in rental property, you can deduct expenses you paid according to your percentage of ownership.

They each need to amend and show the income they each have from this rental. As the 1099MISC was issued to A only they can show half of the rental as belonging to B.

Please let me know if you need more information.
If not then scroll up to see the STARS to rate so I am credited.

Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 7 months ago

Hey, just checking back because I have not heard from you since you saw my response

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4