Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

An infestment property, owned for 25 years, is sold in South…

Customer Question
An infestment property, owned...

An infestment property, owned for 25 years, is sold in South Carolina by a person 81 years old from Pennsylvania.. Is it exempt from 7% of gain withheld for the state?

Accountant's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No the closing is on Friday.

Accountant's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I have been told because of my age I was exempt from this tax. Just info was not from an attorney so I just wan to double check.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
9/25/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 9 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

So far I have found no such exempt based on age for the mandatory withholding on the sale of SC real property by a nonresident.

South Carolina Code Section 12-8-580 mandates that anyone purchasing real property in South Carolina from a nonresident Seller must withhold seven percent (7%) of the gain recognized on the sale by the nonresident Seller. If the nonresident Seller is a partnership, trust, or estate, the purchaser is also obligated to withhold seven percent (7%) of the recognized gian. If the nonresident Seller is a corporation, the purchaser must withhold five percent (5%) of the nonresident corporation's recognized gain.

Please let me know if you need more information.