Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My son is 45 years old I paid for a get sober plan $12'000…

Customer Question
My son is 45...

My son is 45 years old I paid for a get sober plan $12'000 can I clam that.

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

He has job not good one and said he can't pay me back.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Tax
9/22/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 7 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that: He or she received gross income of $4,050 or more in 2016, He or she filed a joint return for 2016, or. You, or your spouse if filing jointly,could be claimed as a dependent on someone else's 2016 return.

You can include medical expenses (get sober plan) you paid for your son who would have been your dependent except that he received gross income of $4,050 or more in 2017 as long as you provided more than 1/2 of his support during the year.

You can deduct the $12,000 on Schedule A, but you will be limited to deduct only that amount which is over 10% of your adjusted gross income.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to help you.

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent