Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am a U.S. citizen, and an individual who has filed all…

Customer Question
I am a U.S...

I am a U.S. citizen, and an individual who has filed all required forms. I work as a notary public part time. I recently undertook a signing for them of a Spanish resident living in the Minneapolis area. I invoiced $360 for the work, and sent the invoice. They acknowledge the work and the invoice, but contnually ask additional information and have requested the new invoice with the name of a diferent company three times.

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Now they are asking for certificate of tax residency. Is this form actually required? Would a w9 be sufficient to estalbish U.S . residency?

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
9/22/2017
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 9 months ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

A W-9 should be sufficient to satisfy their request. This form is used to provide your correct TIN to the person/company who is required to file an information return with the IRS to report income paid to you.

I am a notary public in the U.S. and have NEVER been asked to provide a certificate of tax residency.

Form 8802 is used to request Form 6166, a letter of U.S. residency certification for purposes of claiming benefits under an income tax treaty or VAT exemption.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8802

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

I see you have read my response to your question.

Please let me know if you have any other questions/concerns. If so, please let me know so I can continue to help you.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please let me know so I can continue to help you.