Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am a retired CPA and have not maintained my CPE hours for

I am a retired CPA and have not maintained my CPE hours for many years (as i was a business CFO not practicing publicly). I would now like to do some consulting including Income Tax Preparation and filing. I am in the process of activateing my CPA status including accumulating the necessary CPE training hours to become active. In the meantime, i am interested to know what it takes to become and enrolled agent so that i can prepare and file returns this tax coming tax season. What training and what testing must I take in order to qualify?

You just pay the bucks for a PTIN (if you just want to prepare that's all you need), then sit for the test at Prometric testing center, and pass a background check ( Test's pretty easy) to be an ea and represent.

...

See this from IRS:

______________

Follow these steps to become an enrolled agent:

1. Obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN);
  2. Visit the Special Enrollment Examination (SEE) web page to apply to take the test and review the SEE Candidate Information Bulletin and other useful information;
  3. Review NEW SEE sample test questions and answers
  4. Achieve passing scores on all 3 parts of the SEE.*
  5. Apply for enrollment and pay enrollment fee electronically at Pay.gov or by downloading Form 23 and mailing the completed form and a check to the IRS.
  6. Pass a tax compliance check to ensure that you have filed all necessary tax returns and there are no outstanding tax liabilities. This check is conducted on your behalf after submission of Form 23.
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you, I appreciate your prompt reply/assistance!!

You're very welcome! Thank YOU for the rating!