How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 12677
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired CPA and have not maintained my CPE hours for

This answer was rated:

I am a retired CPA and have not maintained my CPE hours for many years (as i was a business CFO not practicing publicly). I would now like to do some consulting including Income Tax Preparation and filing. I am in the process of activateing my CPA status including accumulating the necessary CPE training hours to become active. In the meantime, i am interested to know what it takes to become and enrolled agent so that i can prepare and file returns this tax coming tax season. What training and what testing must I take in order to qualify?

You just pay the bucks for a PTIN (if you just want to prepare that's all you need), then sit for the test at Prometric testing center, and pass a background check ( Test's pretty easy) to be an ea and represent.


See this from IRS:


Follow these steps to become an enrolled agent:

  1. Obtain a Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN);
  2. Visit the Special Enrollment Examination (SEE) web page to apply to take the test and review the SEE Candidate Information Bulletin and other useful information;
  3. Review NEW SEE sample test questions and answers
  4. Achieve passing scores on all 3 parts of the SEE.*
  5. Apply for enrollment and pay enrollment fee electronically at or by downloading Form 23 and mailing the completed form and a check to the IRS.
  6. Pass a tax compliance check to ensure that you have filed all necessary tax returns and there are no outstanding tax liabilities. This check is conducted on your behalf after submission of Form 23.
Lane and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Thank you, I appreciate your prompt reply/assistance!!

You're very welcome! Thank YOU for the rating!