Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

S Corporation shareholders to surrender stock to S

corporation (all with basis) on...
S Corporation shareholders to surrender stock to S corporation (all with basis) on 1-1-18 which will terminate S election and now stock re-issued to 4 operating companies as a C Corporation. Is there any impact to surrending shareholders? Tax basis is only $75k. Does the surrendered basis become "outside basis" for any of the current S Corp owners?
9/20/2017
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

Is any cash or other property being received? Distributions received by the shareholder are treated as payment in full for the exchange of stock. The shareholder’s adjusted basis in the stock is subtracted from the cash and fair market value (FMV) of other property received from the corporation.

...

If the stock surrendered in the liquidation qualifies as Sec. 1244 stock, the shareholder may be able to claim an ordinary loss rather than a capital loss.

...

The liquidation process itself does not terminate the company’s S election.

...

If there's no liquidation and you simply revoke by shareholder consent, ( no AAA/E&P balance from a pre-existing C-Corp) then basis DOES become basis in the C-Corp stock. Still need the revocation letter and 8832

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

No cash or property is being received. Thought the loss on surrender would be treated as related party & there for non-deductible?

The general rule is that a shareholder’s stock basis is determined as of the end of the S corporation’s tax year. It appears that the adjusted basis of stock held in a liquidating corporation is adjusted for current-year passthrough items prior to determination of gain or loss from the receipt of the liquidating distributions (see Regs. Sec. 1.1367-1(d)(1) and Letter Ruling###-##-####.

...

But other than that, if there's basis and no distribution...

...

If the shareholder has different bases in different blocks of stock, the computation of gain or loss depends on whether there is a single distribution or a series of liquidating distributions (Rev. Ruls. 68-348 and 85-48). The shareholder recognizes gain when the adjusted basis of each block has been recovered, while loss is not recognized until the corporation has made its final distribution

Is this really liquidating as the corporation will still exist but with different owners. So when the existing shareholders surrender their stock, have basis but in a related party, the basis (say $25,000 each) is deductible or non-deductible transaction?

Non-deductible. (can be used to allow for operating losses in the final year ... can, in fact, be used up) but becomes basis in the C-Corp stock (outside basis).

...

I don't understand how you're using related party. 267 doesn't really apply here

Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS