Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have a question about IRS i need someone with deep

Customer Question
I have a question...

I have a question about IRS i need someone with deep knowledge of IRS issues as we were suppose to be doing mail audit and the accountant never did anything. So not sure what to do.

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

So we had a request for a audit. We had a accountant that was suppose to deal with the audit and said he was. They then sent us notice to intent to levy. We realized he disaaperead and never did anything. They gave us a deadline of may9 to respond and we thought our accountant did but he never did. So I need to figure out where to go now or what i can get them to do and should i setup payment arrangements i short run or does that mean i agree with their finding. sorry i typed terrible

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Just the above

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/20/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. Did the IRS make any adjustments to your return. You would still be able to either appeal their findings or request an audit reconsideration. I can go through both options with you.

Do you have the information that the IRS is requesting?

Send your request for audit reconsideration to the office that last corresponded with you.

You don’t need to complete a special form – just a letter explaining your request for audit reconsideration. Be clear about which changes you want the IRS to consider. You should provide:

• A copy of your examination report (IRS Form 4549), if available
  • Copies of the new documentation that supports your position. Do not send original documents. Send copies.

Here is some additional information regarding audit reconsideration. https://taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov/get-help/audit-reconsiderations

If you receive an intent to levy letter you would want to contact the IRS and see if they could place a temporary hold on your account. You would explain the situation and that you are working to resolve the issue. The IRS will usually place a temporary hold of up to 8 weeks. Once the hold expires you would need to request another hold or set up an installment agreement (or online payment agreement).

Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor