Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I am moving to Australia December 17th 2017. I will have…

Customer Question
Hi - I am...

Hi - I am moving to Australia December 17th 2017. I will have earned a bonus during the period January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017 (most of this time i was a non-australian-resident for tax purposes). Unfortunately, although the bonus was earned while i was a non-australian-resident, the bonus is usually paid in April or May of the following year, so that will be April 2018 (when i will be a resident of Australia). As far as Australian taxes go, am i only responsible for paying tax to Australia on the bonus for the period of December 17-31, 2017 ?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/20/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 8 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

Australian residents are taxed on their worldwide income. As a resident you will be taxed on the full amount of the bonus as if you lived there the entire year. SEE BELOW:

If you migrate to Australia and intend to reside here permanently, you are an Australian resident for tax purposes. This means:

• You must declare income you have earned from anywhere in the world in your tax return.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/International-tax-for-individuals/Coming-to-Australia/Moving-to-Australia-permanently/#HowtaxworksinAustralia

Let me know if you require further assistance with this matter. If not, I ask that you be so kind as to scroll to the top of the page and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant