Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I have (87,096) NOL from 2014 that I'm carrying back to

Customer Question
I have (87,096) NOL from...
I have (87,096) NOL from 2014 that I'm carrying back to 2012. The NOL came about from the sale of rental real estate at a loss. When the NOL is carried back to 2012, it releases a suspended rental loss via Form 8582.
I have received a IRS response that you "cannot combine a carryback claim and general tax adjustment claim on one Form 1040X. These claims must be filed and processed separately. We are required by law to separate these changes. Please resubmit each claim on a separate Form 1040X and include all supporting documentation for each."
Is this what they are referring to? One 1040X to show the carryback of the NOL. Then a separate 1040X to show the effect of the release of the suspended loss on Form 8582?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
I've just referred to the IRS instructions and it sounds like these 2 items can be combined (which makes sense to me) on one 1040X. So I'm not sure what the IRS is referring to.
Now I think it might be the EFFECT of the NOL C/B on the suspended passive losses (Form 8582) remaining to be carried over to 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016.
It seems to me that the utilized PAL in 2012 due to the NOL C/B which affects the C/F on 8582 must all be applied to rental property #2. The sale of rental property #1 in 2014 is what caused the NOL and its C/B to 2012. So now the C/F on the 8582 changes. Since this is a "circular" calculation, I can't affect the Rental #1 suspended loss carryforward -- because that is what produced the NOL to begin with.
9/20/2017
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 11 months ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant

Hello. Thank you for choosing this Q&A service for assistance. My name is Angela. I will be assisting you.

Q: Is this what they are referring to? One 1040X to show the carryback of the NOL. Then a separate 1040X to show the effect of the release of the suspended loss on Form 8582?

A: Not quite. While multiple 1040Xs can be filed for the same year for different matters, based on my research, you would file a 1040X to show the carryback of the NOL and you would file a Form 1045 to show the release of the suspended loss on Form 8582. The NOL calculation is done on the Schedule A of the Form 1045. I will provide substantiation shortly.

Publication 536 refers to the Form 1045.

Link to Publication 536:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p536.pdf

After figuring the loss on Schedule A of the Form 1045, complete the rest of the form which is the Application for a Tentative Refund.

If what I have written clarifies matters for you, I ask that you be so kind as to the top of the page, and select 3 or more stars to positively rate my response so that I can receive credit for assisting you. Thank you in advance.