Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

My sister did not keep food receipts and paid cash. She was…

Customer Question
My sister did not...

My sister did not keep food receipts and paid cash. She was working on projects for our mom who came down with altimerezers, is there a IRS food rate for no receipts.

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

We are preparing expense reports to be reimbursements for working our mothers personal business. Had IRS problems we have to travel to correct, have had to travel many times to clean her things up

Accountant's Assistant: Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

No just need to create a good supporting document for our reimbursements.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Tax
9/19/2017
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 11 months ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello, I'm Robin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now and typing up my reply. I'll post that in just a few moments.

It seems that your sister took over your mother's business and will be reporting the income from this business under her own name. If that is the case then she can claim meals as long as she was away over night for business purposes.

Generally, you can use the “standard meal allowance” method as an alternative to the actual cost method. It allows you to use a set amount for your daily meals and incidental expenses (M&IE), instead of keeping records of your actual costs. The set amount varies depending on where and when you travel. In the IRS publication 463, “standard meal allowance” refers to the federal rate for M&IE.

If you use the standard meal allowance, you still must keep records to prove the time, place, and business purpose of your travel.

Most major cities and many other localities in the United States are designated as high-cost areas, qualifying for higher standard meal allowances.

You can find this information (organized by state) at www.gsa.gov/perdiem. Enter a zip code or select a city and state for the per diem rates for the current fiscal year. Per diem rates for prior fiscal years are available by using the drop down menu.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting. Please advise below