Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I just sold second home. Lived in it for 20 years and then…

Customer Question
I just sold second...

I just sold second home. Lived in it for 20 years and then split between new husbands home and mine but we used husband's home as primary. My home was not an investment property. If I put the money from purchase of my home towards my mortgage can I avoid capital gains taxes?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Can't think of anything except does the current value of the home enter into it? If so I took a big loss.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/19/2017
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 8 months ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

HI, MY NAME’S LANE - I hold a law degree (J.D.), with concentration in Tax Law, Estate law & Corporate law, an MBA in finance, a BBA, and CFP & CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations, as well - I’ve been providing financial, Social Security/Medicare, estate, corporate, non-profit, and tax advice 1986.

...

I'm so sorry, but the mortgage isn't relevant to capital gain. The mortgage is just you the purchase was financed.

...

It's the difference between sales price and what you have invested in the home (basis) that generates the capital gain.

...

Capital Gain = Sales price - basis

...

And basis, is purchase price + improvements + selling costs such as real estate commisions

However, the primary residence exclusion MIGHT apply. You have to have lived in the house (doesn't have to have been continuously) for 24 months out of the five years before the sale -

Finally, either 24 full months or 730 days will satisfy the two-year ownership and use requirements. If this does apply, the capital gains exclusion is $500,000 for those married filing jointly. And you wouldn't be able to use the exemption again for two years (say if the other house is sold)

...

Please let me know if you have ANY questions at all, before rating me.

If this has helped, and you DON’T have other questions … I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars or faces on your screen, and then clicking “submit")

I hope that you’ll rate me based on my accuracy and thoroughness, rather than any good news/bad news content.

That’s the only way JustAnswer.com will compensate me for the work here.

Thanks,

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS