Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

At my church, the pastor has been offered a salary of 30K…

Customer Question
At my church, the...

At my church, the pastor has been offered a salary of 30K with a 24K housing allowance. Does that mean that the money he receives is 54K?

Accountant's Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

The question is whether he receives all of the 54K and the church designates that 24K is a housing allowance or does he receive only 30K and the church documents the 24K as a housing allowance as a tax write off for the pastor.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/19/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 8 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

The pastors housing allowance (sometimes called a parsonage allowance or a rental allowance) is excluded from gross income for income tax purposes but not for self-employment tax purposes.

The church must officially designate the allowance as a housing allowance before paying it to the pastor.

For self employment tax purposes the pastor does receive the full $54,000

For income tax purposes the pastor would report $30,000

Topic 417 - Earnings for Clergy

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc417.html

"The minister's employing organization must officially designate the allowance as a housing allowance before paying it to the minister.

The fair rental value of a parsonage or the housing allowance is excludable only for income tax purposes. The minister must include the amount for self-employment tax purposes.

For social security and Medicare tax purposes, a duly ordained, licensed, or commissioned minister performing ministerial services is considered to be self-employed. This means that your salary on Form W-2 (PDF), Wage and Tax Statement, the net profit on Schedule C or C-EZ, and your housing allowance less your employee business expenses are subject to self-employment tax on Form 1040, Schedule SE (PDF), Self-Employment Tax."

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney