Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

If two people are listed on rental property and sell house…

Customer Question
If two people are...

If two people are listed on rental property and sell house can only one of them pay taxes on gain

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.

Mom and son own sold rental property. Sob wants to pay all tax.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/19/2017
Tax Professional: Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional replied 8 months ago
Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®, CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER TM, Professional

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will be able to assist you today.

If a mother and son own a rental property together they would be considered a partnership in the eyes of the IRS for tax paying purposes.

Partnerships are able (through a partnership agreement) to adjust how profits and losses are assigned. Therefore, the partnership would be able to assign all the profit from the sale of the rental property to the son who would then be required to pay the taxes associated with the profit.

If you have any other questions or need further clarification please let me know.

Thank you!

I noticed you have read my answer. Do you have any further questions?

Please rate my service if you have NO further questions by using the stars, or faces on your screen and clicking submit.

I hope you feel that I provided you with 5 Star services and I look forward to working with you in the future.

Regards,

Chad CFP ® professional

I received a notice that you have viewed my answer.

Please take a moment to accept the answer so I may be credited by JustAnswer for the work I did.

Thank you!

Chad EA, CFP ®
Chad EA, CFP ®