Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

I'm filling a W8BEN and have a doubt regarding Citizenship.

Customer Question
Hi, I'm filling a...

Hi, I'm filling a W8BEN and have a doubt regarding Citizenship. I have dual citizen (Venezuelan/Peruvian), but currently living and paying taxes in Ecuador 9currently my permanent address is in Ecuador). The W8 instructions says: ...If you are not a resident in any country in which you have citizenship, enter the country where you were most recently a resident. This means Ecuador?

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else important you think the Expert should know?

Don't think so

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Tax
9/19/2017
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 9 months ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Yes - correct - when you claim any tax treaty related benefits on W8BEN - that is based on your residency.
In your situation - your residency is Ecuador and that what you need to use.

Please see for reference instructions

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/iw8ben.pdf

page 5 -

Line 2. Enter your country of citizenship. If you are a dual citizen, enter the country where you are both a citizen and a resident at the time you complete this form. If you are not a resident in any country in which you have citizenship, enter the country where you were most recently a resident.

Thus - residency will be determine which tax treaty to use.

Please be aware that Ecuador doesn't have any tax treaty with the US.

Let me know if you need any help with that form.