Tax

Have a tax question? Ask a tax Expert

Overwhelmed with tax issues. I'm having a hard time figuring…

Customer Question
Hey! I'm SO overwhelmed...

Hey! I'm SO overwhelmed with tax issues. I'm having a hard time figuring out where to even start.. Living in California, I went from making baically no money to startign a design firm, and generating 250,000 in 2008. I made a good amount in 2009, but nowhere near 250k. Then my band was signed, and I was pretty much not working from 2009-2013. (The band made no money) At that time my fiance and I were living with her parents because we were touring. In 2013 my fiance and I formed an LLC in california for a new design firm, opened bank accounts, but then unexpectedly we moved to Washington. I have used those bank accounts for the LLC on and off when doing design work in Washington. (I have never paid any California LLC fees, and I'm not sure if I was supposed to close that LLC and start a Washington one) We were still actively touring in 2015 so I was apprehensive to try to figure out the tax situation. I know I owe like 100k+ for 2008/2009, and I don't think I've filed since 2011... I have pretty much no paperwork other than bank statements, and any tax paperwork from clients has been lost over the years of touring. In the last year we made the decision to leave the music industry and focus on our family (We have a 4 year old son) and our design firm. We also have recently become percentage owners of a couple businesses, but they are not yet generating income. I know this is a lot, but I don't know where to even start, and I'm not sure I can afford a tax attorney/accountant in my area.

Accountant's Assistant: The Expert will know how to help. Is there anything else the Expert should be aware of?

Nope, that's just about everything I think.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Tax
9/18/2017
Tax Professional: Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA) replied 8 months ago
Mark Taylor
Mark Taylor, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Hi, my name is Mark. I will be happy to help you with your questions. It seems like you had an interesting few years. You first step would be to see what was the last year that you filed. You can go on the IRS website and request a transcript for the prior years.

Did you file your 2008 and 2009 tax returns on time?

You would need to file the delinquent returns. Once the returns are filed you would need to establish a payment agreement with the IRS.

To prepare the returns you could request a wage and income transcript from the IRS. This will contain the information that was reported to the IRS under your Social Security number. https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

Your next step would be to recreate the accounting information. If everything ran through the bank account then this can be done through the bank statements.

Hey! Thanks for the answer. I tried requesting my transcripts, but I'm not able to do it online because my info doesn't match their info, and they have frozen my ability to try to make an account for 24 hours. I can try the mail version, but they want to send to an old address in Los Angeles...

The other option is to call the IRS. The number 1-***-***-****. Has the IRS sent you any notices?

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney